In 1879, the first Seventh-day Adventist Campmeeting east of the Cascade Mountains in the Washington territory took place near Walla Walla. The population of the Washington territory was 75,116 in 1880. That year, Ellen White attended the Milton Campmeeting and the Upper Columbia Conference was formed. The membership in the new conference was 119. The Northern Pacific Railroad completed the transcontinental railroad line in 1883, which connected the area to the rest of the United States and the territories’ population began to skyrocket. By 1888 the church membership in the Upper Columbia Conference was 290. Washington became a state in 1889.
In June of 1895, Elder D.E. Scoles relocated to North Yakima, a city of thirty-five hundred people. He held two series of meetings in North Yakima and established a Seventh-day Adventist church of thirty-five members.1 The small group of Seventh-day Adventists in the YakimaValley met in various homes each Sabbath day. This first Seventh-day Adventist church in the Yakima Valley, the North Yakima Seventh-day Adventist Church, was built at the corner of west “B” Street and 4th Avenue North, in 1895.
As membership across the nation grew, the Seventh-day Adventist Church saw how church-operated schools could help prepare young workers to spread the gospel message. Ellen White urged teachers to “incorporate the truth’s of God’s word with manual training.”2 The North Yakima Church wanted to follow this directive. “At our regular Sabbath services on February 15, 1902, the subject of something permanent in the way of a church school was discussed and it was agreed to appoint a committee of five whose business it would be to look into the matter, and to see what can be done and where best to have such a school located.”3 Brothers Starr, J.N. McGlotherin, and E.A. Rich of North Yakima as well as Brothers S.H. Devoir, and Chester Howson of Natchez Valley were named and appointed to compose the committee. On October 31, 1902, the committee reported that the Natchez Valley Church decided that the country children needed their own school and had withdrawn from the planning of the North Yakima School.
|Check back for pictures!||New School Miracles!||Changes|
|1903 to 1915||1916 to 1937||1937 to 1949|
|1950 to 1963||1964 to 1994||1995 to 2001|
|This history was written for the
Yakima Adventist Christian School
One Hundred Year Anniversary
celebrated September 26 and 27, 2003.
1 Review, November 7, 1893, p. 703
2 Review & Herald, June 23, 1896
3 Doug Johnson, Adventism in the Pacific Northwest, p. 69