Home > About Us > History >
.
History, 1937-1949
.
             On the front page of the October 29, 1936 Yakima Daily Republic it was reported that a five-acre tract on Fruitvale Boulevard was purchased by the Upper Columbia Conference of Seventh-day Adventist to construct the first unity of a day academy for students in the Upper Yakima Valley. The land cost $8000.00 and it was felt that it was ideally located as “the property was adjacent to the streetcar line and on the stage coach route from the Naches district.”
          A. Powers conference architect drew up the plans for the school, which was shown on the front page of the paper. The original plan was to have a 60-foot frontage and be 40 feet in depth. There would be 4 classrooms along a long hall and a full basement to serve as a chapel, auditorium, and gymnasium. The facility would also house a kitchen, dining room and toilet facilities. John Nichols, contractor for the conference was to supervise the building project.
          Dr. Elmer Mullinnex, president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church School reported that the church wanted to keep pace with educational advancements. “An acute need for the academy, which will offer high school courses, developed since the influx of families from the drought areas of Iowa and the Dakotas.”
          The plan was to complete only the main building until additional funds were available. “An ‘L’ will be added later giving the academy two more classrooms.” The church also planned to erect a separate building to take care of the various manual arts. Space not used by the buildings was to be used as a garden for the agriculture classes. 29
 
 
 
The caption from the Yakima Daily Republic says:
"Above is the architect's drawing of the academy which the Yakima Adventists will erect at once in the Fruitvale district.  The school has a five acre campus and is designed to serve the Adventists of the upper valley.  It will offer a full high school course."