YACS Adventures in Service
As part of our outreach this season your child’s class is taking part in Operation Christmas Child.
Operation Christmas Child is a project of the international Christian relief and evangelism organization Samaritan’s Purse. This unique project sends a message of hope to children in desperate situations around the world through gift-filled shoe boxes, relief aid, and Christian literature.
We are attempting to fill as many shoeboxes as possible with a variety of small gifts for a child in an impoverished or war-torn country. Please follow these steps to make this year’s Operation Christmas Child a success:
1. Together, as a family, decide if you will participate in this project, the gender and age-range of the child you would like to receive your shoebox.
AGE RANGE: 2-4 years old, 5-9 years old, or 10-14 years old
2. Find an empty, standard size, shoe box. If you are wrapping the box, the box lid needs to be wrapped separately so the Samaritan’s Purse workers can inspect the contents. Plastic shoe boxes with lids are also accepted.
3. Fill the box with a variety of small gifts:
· Toys: small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, plastic kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, small Etch A SketchÒ, toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky, etc.
· School Supplies: pens, pencils and sharpener, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, coloring books, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, etc.
· Hygiene items: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, comb, washcloth, etc.
· Other: hard candy, lollipops, mints, gum, sunglasses, flashlights with extra batteries, ball caps, socks, T-shirts, hair-clips, watches, small picture books, etc.
Do NOT include the following items:
· Used items
· Toy guns, knives, or other war-related items
· Chocolate or perishable items
· Liquids of any kind (shampoo, lotion, bubbles, etc.)
· Medicines of any kind (vitamins, cough drops, etc.)
· Breakable items (mirrors, china dolls, etc.)
4. You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of your child or your family. (If you include your name and address, the child who receives your box may write you back.) With your permission, we will be making cards and other small hand-made gifts to send along in the boxes. All correspondence will have the school address to ensure your child’s privacy. If you are uncomfortable having your child participate in this card/note writing activity please let me know.
5. Enclose $7.00 or more in your shoebox to help cover shipping and other costs. Please place the envelope so it is clearly visible on top of the gifts. (Send checks made payable to YACS. If your family is filling more than one shoe box, you may make one combined donation and place it inside any one of your boxes.) We will combine all the donations and write one check from the school.
6. Place a rubber band around your shoe box and lid. Send the shoebox to school with your child on or before November 17. This will assure the time necessary to get our shoeboxes to the drop off location in time for them to arrive at their destinations for Christmas.
If you have any questions or concerns about any aspect of this project please contact us at 966-1933.